• craft·y (krft) adj. craft·i·er, craft·i·est 1. Skilled in or marked by underhandedness, deviousness, or deception. 2. Chiefly British Skillful; dexterous

Monday, October 6, 2008

My New Bag!

So, we got the bags finished, after a lot of trial and error. I think next time, it will go a lot faster, now that we know what we are doing. Here is mine:


This is the applique I cut out on my Cricut. I think I need heavier interfacing, because it wiggled around quite a bit. Also, the fabrics match better in real life. Again, I need to learn to take better pictures.

This is the front with the flap lifted. There are two large pockets on the front and two pockets on the side. There is also a large zipper pocket on the back.


The bag calls for a lot of topstitching, so I used a decorative stitch for it. This picture makes it look messed up, but it really turned out cute.

This is the interior. There are three pockets on one side and two pockets on the other. They are a little puckered because there is elastic on them.


So, what do you think? I think it turned out pretty well. Here are a few notes and suggestions:
-We didn't use interfacing, so it made the bag floppier, but I kind of like the look. If you want a stiffer bag, definitely use the interfacing.
-I would like to try it with the vinyl next time. I think this bag would do pretty well in the washer though.
-Cut the strap out FIRST. Otherwise you might end up with a strap that is a little shorter than you would like.
-The snaps on the body of the bag are kind of high. The top just kind of flops over, and doesn't really meet up. Maybe if the bag was full of stuff or if it were stiffer, it would work better, but if you make a floppy bag like this, I would recommend putting the snaps lower. Also, with the regular notions at Joann, you get one snap for $4.50, but they have a special purse section with 3 snaps for $1.49. They might not be as nice, but seriously, how long are you going to keep this bag?
-I used the serger on some of the pieces. Mandy didn't, and mine seemed to go together more evenly.
-This bag is a lot bigger than it looks, so don't be fooled when you are initially cutting out the bag pieces.

All in all, this was a fun bag to make. If you would like me to make one for you, just let me know (you supply the fabric), or if you want a fun project, try this one!

Oh, here is the link to the tutorial:
Hip Mama Diaper Bag

1 comment:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

So cute! You did a great job. I've had that tutorial bookmarked forever but haven't gotten around to trying it.

And I remember the day I discovered the cheap magnet snaps....I was so ticked I'd been paying for the expensive ones!