• craft·y (krft) adj. craft·i·er, craft·i·est 1. Skilled in or marked by underhandedness, deviousness, or deception. 2. Chiefly British Skillful; dexterous

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

RIP Mr Singer

Or maybe it's a female? Anyway, the old Singer just couldn't handle the demands of furry felt. At 40 years old, it decided to breathe it's last breath and give out on me. It appears to be the gears that move the bobbin, and when I called for a repair quote, I was told starting at $110, IF they can find the parts. So the search is on for a new machine. For now, I have picked up a Singer at Costco, if nothing else than to finish the costume. I knew there was a reason I started this thing in September. I figured I can test drive it, and if I end up not liking it, Costco has a generous return policy. I heard a story once of a camera and a washing machine... If you have any good suggestions of how to pick a new machine, let me know in the comments below! Oh, if you have need of any parts for a vintage 1960s era Singer, I know where you can find some. A photocopy of the manual alone sells for almost $20 online.

On a brighter note, I got some Heat and Bond and some fat eighths to try out some appliques.

2 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

I got my first nice (and by "nice" I mean it has more than a straight stitch and zig zag and doesn't shake the table when I sew) about a year ago. I bought it from a sewing machine shop and would totally do it again. They had classes to show me how to use all the fancy shmancy features and gave me coupons for fabric and stuff, too.

And did you get regular Heat and Bond or Heat and Bond Light? In my experience, the regular stuff gums up your needles something fierce. Be prepared with back ups and rubbing alcohold to get the residue off.

Ally said...

I think I got the light stuff? I just picked some up at Walmart to test it. Is that kind okay?